Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 3:09:28 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 162 post(s)
So the new revenue officers jobs have posted on USAJOBS.com

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/592784000
TheCollector1205  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 6:48:39 AM(UTC)
TheCollector1205

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
This is great news. I’m a RO in the Northeast and they haven’t hired new RO’s in any POD remotely close to me since I was hired 11 years ago. I was worried they were trying to phase out the RO position.
brian76  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 7:29:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This is the internal posting, I believe the external announcement will be posted on 3/1.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 10:55:17 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brian76 Go to Quoted Post
This is the internal posting, I believe the external announcement will be posted on 3/1.

External: https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/592784900

Internal: https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/592784000

Good luck everyone!
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
brian76 on 2/22/2021(UTC)
Cephas219  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 12:17:12 PM(UTC)
Cephas219

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I’ve been eyeing this position for a while, and usually it’s posted at an 11. Any idea why this says promotion potential 9? Besides that, it’s not posted where I’m interested, and I’m very disappointed in that.
scottyd27  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 12:28:31 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Cephas219 Go to Quoted Post
I’ve been eyeing this position for a while, and usually it’s posted at an 11. Any idea why this says promotion potential 9? Besides that, it’s not posted where I’m interested, and I’m very disappointed in that.

It never has posted as an 11. The 11 is journey level.

New hires usually start and a 7 or a 9. Sometimes a 5.

Providing you don’t screw up you get promoted to 11.

Until 2017 the journey was 9.

Promotion potential is as high as 13.
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Cephas219 on 2/22/2021(UTC), Paul on 3/11/2021(UTC)
brian76  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 7:56:39 PM(UTC)

I submitted my application, the closest location is about an hour from me. Lol. Good luck everybody!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:16:59 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: Cephas219 Go to Quoted Post

If you want to get in as a revenue officer, sometimes it’s best to take a location you can make work, even if it’s not ideal. No locations were near where I lived when I applied to be a RO, I just moved. These large announcements are how they hire revenue officer new hires so if it’s still possible for you to move, consider it at the very least. As far as promotion potential, the last hiring had the promotion potential to a 11 non competitive and that’s what this should be too, as long as your group manager thinks you are doing fully successful work. Then once you have enough experience, you can apply to 12 then eventually 13 if you want. Good luck on whatever you decide to do though!
thanks 2 users thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC), Paul on 3/11/2021(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:19:15 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

I submitted my application, the closest location is about an hour from me. Lol. Good luck everybody!

That distance isn’t terrible if you want the job. The closest office when I applied to be an RO was 2.5 hours away so if it’s what you want to do, go for it. Good luck!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:20:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:30:36 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

That distance isn’t terrible if you want the job. The closest office when I applied to be an RO was 2.5 hours away so if it’s what you want to do, go for it. Good luck!

My first POD was 2 hours away. I made it work for 18 months until I could transfer.
brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC), Cephas219 on 2/23/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:04:09 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

My first POD was 2 hours away. I made it work for 18 months until I could transfer.

Yes, in my experience as a former RO, there are a lot of transfer opportunities once you're in. Especially for entry-level 7/9 positions. Some of the new hires will decide it's not for them, or transfer, creating opportunities. Also, back when I was an RO, (a little over 10 years ago), if you found someone who worked at your desired location who wanted to transfer to yours, you could switch ( I don't remember the administrative name but it was possible). The reason I know is because another RO in another office contacted me to switch but I wasn't willing at that time.

I'm thinking of returning to the RO grind... I worked in a couple of agencies after the IRS and they are not as organized/formal/strict as the IRS. Once you get used to that it's hard to not expect it from other agencies. Becoming an RO is not only an employment opportunity but it also makes you more independent, (you are going to be at the field or working from home, away from your office a lot), organized, goal oriented, professional, aware of where you are/where you go, keeps you on your toes, act according to the updated changes on the IRM, etc.

Knowing that the journeyman level has been increased to GS-11 as RAs is a good incentive also. Especially if you have been at that level or higher and are coming back. It's about time.

As many of the experienced RO's are saying on this thread, this is a position that doesn't hire every year and they hire through these mass hiring announcements, so if you're interested apply or you won't have a chance in a while. When I started, many new ROs were from other cities and eventually found their way back to the office of their choice, just like the experienced ROs stated there, within a year or two of being hired.

Good luck to everyone and my Thanks to the RO veterans who are coming in here and providing feedback/information. In my experience as a former RO, the knowledge and mentoring of the more experienced ROs was fundamental to development, especially in this position.
thanks 4 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
LakersFan1118 on 2/23/2021(UTC), brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC), TheCollector1205 on 2/23/2021(UTC), Paul on 3/11/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:35:44 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Yes, in my experience as a former RO, there are a lot of transfer opportunities once you're in. Especially for entry-level 7/9 positions. Some of the new hires will decide it's not for them, or transfer, creating opportunities. Also, back when I was an RO, (a little over 10 years ago), if you found someone who worked at your desired location who wanted to transfer to yours, you could switch ( I don't remember the administrative name but it was possible). The reason I know is because another RO in another office contacted me to switch but I wasn't willing at that time.

I'm thinking of returning to the RO grind... I worked in a couple of agencies after the IRS and they are not as organized/formal/strict as the IRS. Once you get used to that it's hard to not expect it from other agencies. Becoming an RO is not only an employment opportunity but it also makes you more independent, (you are going to be at the field or working from home, away from your office a lot), organized, goal oriented, professional, aware of where you are/where you go, keeps you on your toes, act according to the updated changes on the IRM, etc.

Knowing that the journeyman level has been increased to GS-11 as RAs is a good incentive also. Especially if you have been at that level or higher and are coming back. It's about time.

As many of the experienced RO's are saying on this thread, this is a position that doesn't hire every year and they hire through these mass hiring announcements, so if you're interested apply or you won't have a chance in a while. When I started, many new ROs were from other cities and eventually found their way back to the office of their choice, just like the experienced ROs stated there, within a year or two of being hired.

Good luck to everyone and my Thanks to the RO veterans who are coming in here and providing feedback/information. In my experience as a former RO, the knowledge and mentoring of the more experienced ROs was fundamental to development, especially in this position.

The RAs got upset when we got our Journey at 11. So NTEU made the service journey RAs at 12.

The switching PODs is called job swap (official admin name).

Your advice about being an RO.. ie professional independent and aware is spot on.

I personally love the job. Don’t always like the circumstances. But that’s every job.

I was hoping to OJI this hiring. But my POD isn’t hiring. Don’t know why we are short staffed.

Another thing I will say to new hires/trainees/ interest party. If you can’t manage your schedule and calendar everything you will fail as an RO.

Workload management is the corner atone of being and RO.
XFed77 on 2/23/2021(UTC), brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC)
TheCollector1205  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 5:33:26 PM(UTC)
TheCollector1205

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I agree with everything Scotty and XFed said about the job. The work itself is enjoyable...the independence and freedom to set your own schedule is nice. We work 40 hours a week for the most part and the amount of leave we get is also pretty generous. The best part in my opinion is the field. You’re not tied to your desk everyday like most office jobs, you meet people from all walks of life, and depending on how large your territory is you’ll visit areas of your state you otherwise might never see. I also earn a few hundred dollars per month on mileage reimbursement which is another perk of the field. I’d say the biggest factor controlling my enjoyment level throughout my 11 years has been the quality of my manager. If you have a good manager then you’ll be happy. I’ve worked for some GM’s that are negative and micro manage which can lead to low morale and burnout among the RO’s in the group.

As far as the distance goes I was lucky enough to get a job in a POD 10 mins from my house. I switched to a POD 90 mins away last year for a promotion. I believe they don’t allow telework for the first year which will be rough but then you can work at home 4 days a week so the distance might not be too bad at that point.

Good luck to anyone applying...I look forward to seeing some new RO’s hired and hopefully get the opportunity to train some.
thanks 2 users thanked TheCollector1205 for this useful post.
brian76 on 2/23/2021(UTC), XFed77 on 2/23/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 5:48:46 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: TheCollector1205 Go to Quoted Post
I agree with everything Scotty and XFed said about the job. The work itself is enjoyable...the independence and freedom to set your own schedule is nice. We work 40 hours a week for the most part and the amount of leave we get is also pretty generous. The best part in my opinion is the field. You’re not tied to your desk everyday like most office jobs, you meet people from all walks of life, and depending on how large your territory is you’ll visit areas of your state you otherwise might never see. I also earn a few hundred dollars per month on mileage reimbursement which is another perk of the field. I’d say the biggest factor controlling my enjoyment level throughout my 11 years has been the quality of my manager. If you have a good manager then you’ll be happy. I’ve worked for some GM’s that are negative and micro manage which can lead to low morale and burnout among the RO’s in the group.

As far as the distance goes I was lucky enough to get a job in a POD 10 mins from my house. I switched to a POD 90 mins away last year for a promotion. I believe they don’t allow telework for the first year which will be rough but then you can work at home 4 days a week so the distance might not be too bad at that point.

Good luck to anyone applying...I look forward to seeing some new RO’s hired and hopefully get the opportunity to train some.

I agree with you about the manager? I’ve been fortunate. All my managers have been good.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
TheCollector1205 on 2/23/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 11:42:34 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

This is a question for experienced Revenue Officers who are posting on this thread. I might know the answer because when I was an RO a long time ago and it was the norm but would like to see if it has changed.

Is there any Overtime for ROs in the office where you work? I know there wasn't when I worked, there was one time I got OT because of a special project but would get Credit Hours for any time over my tour of duty hours.

Thanks for chiming in...

Nick
XFed77  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 2:07:25 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer announcement for externals has been canceled but they will repost it soon.

This is the email that we're receiving:

"Thank you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service. We received your application for employment; however, at this time we wish to inform you that the external recruitment for this position has been canceled.

This announcement will be re-posted at which time you will need to reapply for consideration, please look for the following announcement number coming to USAJOBS.gov on Monday, March 01, 2021: 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09."

Sometimes this happens when higher-ups review the announcement after published and find there is something wrong with the language or if they decide to change something and it can't just be amended.

It will set us back 1 week but that's not that much in federal government timeframes. They will probably make up for it so the hiring/training for externals doesn't lag much behind or is on par with the internal hiring. From my previous experience, both receive the same training on the same dates.

Edited by user Friday, February 26, 2021 2:10:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
brian76 on 2/26/2021(UTC)
brian76  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 2:24:50 PM(UTC)

Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer announcement for externals has been canceled but they will repost it soon.

"Thank you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service. We received your application for employment; however, at this time we wish to inform you that the external recruitment for this position has been canceled.

This announcement will be re-posted at which time you will need to reapply for consideration, please look for the following announcement number coming to USAJOBS.gov on Monday, March 01, 2021: 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09."

Sometimes this happens when higher-ups review the announcement after published and find there is something wrong with the language or if they decide to change something and it can't just be amended.

It will set us back 1 week but that's not that much in federal government timeframes. They will probably make up for it so the hiring/training for externals doesn't lag much behind or is on par with the internal hiring. From my previous experience, both receive the same training on the same dates.

I received the same email. Time to reapply on Monday!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
XFed77 on 2/26/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 4:37:59 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Hello Everyone!

I received the same email. Time to reapply on Monday!

That's it! That's all we can do. Just a little delay, that's all.
scottyd27  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 5:27:04 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

This is a question for experienced Revenue Officers who are posting on this thread. I might know the answer because when I was an RO a long time ago and it was the norm but would like to see if it has changed.

Is there any Overtime for ROs in the office where you work? I know there wasn't when I worked, there was one time I got OT because of a special project but would get Credit Hours for any time over my tour of duty hours.

Thanks for chiming in...

Nick

NO OT.
Just credit time
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 2/26/2021(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 6:13:21 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Thanks for chiming in...

Nick

At my POD, we can get credit hours but it has to be approved by our GM beforehand. After all, your GM is who looks at SETR and ICS before he/she signs it.
XFed77 on 3/1/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed